The work of ASP 4/5 Technical Officers includes:
- undertaking assessments of import permit applications for plant-based animal feed and fertiliser
- providing technical advice to internal and external stakeholders on operational biosecurity issues in both verbal and written formats.
- contributing to the maintenance and provision of import conditions in the Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON)
- engaging collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to manage biosecurity risk
- simple data management, use of data to record basic statistics.
Skills and capabilities
The successful applicant will be/have:
- highly motivated and a fast learner
- well-developed oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to produce clear and accurate written material in an acceptable style with conclusions supported by sound evidence
- customer service skills
- liaison skills to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, responding to their needs and queries and having the ability to solve problems collaboratively
- time management skills, including the ability to take responsibility for own tasks and manage own work with limited supervision
- understand beginner level (as a minimum) Microsoft excel concepts
Relevant tertiary qualifications (or equivalent) in animal or plant science, or a related discipline are highly desirable but not essential.
Relevant qualifications or experience in communications or a related discipline are highly desirable but not essential.