You will research, interpret, and apply complex legislation as well as analyse and provide expertise regarding complex issues. You will support a remotely working team to deliver a range of services including project evaluation and status reporting.
The successful candidate will enjoy collaborating with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in a positive, respectful ways. With your excellent project management and policy skills, you will provide well-researched reports, papers and policies for a range of bodies.
Key duties include but are not limited to:
- collaborate, communicate and engage proactively with a range of internal and external stakeholders to inform policy development
- develop, implement and manage policy, programs and initiatives
- develop high quality policy products – including timely, considered advice – on a range of issues
- represent the department/team in meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- negotiate to resolve competing positions or conflict in the context of sensitive / difficult issues
- manage and mentor team members.
- lead and manage hybrid teams through inclusive leadership and coaching/mentoring
- manage and deliver complex projects and policy while managing stakeholder sensitivities through active negotiation and conflict resolution
What we are looking for
- A detailed knowledge of Commonwealth-state-territory relations, including cross jurisdictional policy development.
- An understanding of the national biosecurity systems is desirable
- An ability to represent the department and experience in running a secretariat/ secretariat administration.
- Communication and stakeholder engagement
Knowledge and Experience
Valued but not essential is working knowledge and experience relevant to biosecurity.
Skills and Capabilities
To be successful in this role, you will need to have high quality writing and communication skills and be a problem solver. Thinking strategically, you will use your influencing skills to build and maintain a wide range of stakeholder relationships. You will have good attention to detail and a commitment to continuous improvement and change. Some of the skills we are looking:
- Ability to work with people.
- An understanding of Commonwealth, state, territory roles and functions pertaining to the national biosecurity system.
- Highly developed communication skills.
- Negotiations skills.
Relevant qualifications and/or demonstrated experience would be an advantage.
Citizenship – Must be an Australian citizen.
Security Clearance – The majority of these positions require a Baseline Vetting security clearance, while some of the positions require a Negative Vetting Level 1 clearance. Depending on the role, you will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at the appropriate level.