- Canberra ACT, Australia
Your New Role
We have an opportunity for an experienced Database Engineer to support the start-up of the first phase of a new multi-year program, which will expand the capacity of the large enterprise environment for the next step of the program. This role will report to the capability lead in a matrix organisation, which supports the delivery of a range of complex project and programs.
The main responsibilities of this role will include building a customer platform, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, and supporting database hardware and software. There will be times when you will need to be ‘hands on’, going out to site and aiding work to ensure both the logical and physical components of the system function as expected.
Perform the following functions as individual assignments or as part of a team:
- Produce enterprise database designs and make recommendations for upgrades, designs and implementations;
- Implement and test database upgrades;
- Design and implement data migration activities;
- Perform Level 2 and 3 platform support including management and administration of database products;
- Maintain database design and implementation documentation;
- Implement organisational objectives for database improvement and compliance with industry standards;
- Provide solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity
- Maintaining currency of the environment, where possible.
- Develops and configures tools to enable automation of database administration tasks.
- Source and analyse relevant subject matter documentation
- Contribute to IT Support process and policy development
- Providing input into policies, procedures, and SOP’s relating to maintenance and management of the operational database infrastructure. Interact with users and technical subject matter experts to ensure delivery is fit for purpose.
About You and What You’ll Bring
Coupled with your education and practical experience, you will demonstrate a pro-active approach with the ability to understand the business, identify issues and develop relationships to achieve the company’s objectives. You will also have:
- Substantial professional experience working in a role within an engineering or project environment (preferably in a similar industry)
- Experience with PostgreSQL is highly desirable
- Knowledge and application of a broad range of skills including software, systems and enterprise architecture, software and hardware engineering, interface protocols
- Substantial experience working in a large enterprise environments
- Strong individual contributor and team player in a professional environment
- Highly effective in managing multiple, concurrent activities, while understanding and managing priorities, dependencies and risk
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Good initiative in developing and improving systems and procedures
- Ability to independently develop and determine approaches to solutions in a practical and creative manner
- Strong conceptual, analytical and interpretive skills with high level of attention to details
- Strong focus on customer service
- Strong planning and organising skills
- Experience with Oracle DB and other database technologies are highly regarded.
- Experience with Ansible or infrastructure as code preferred.
- Experience with Liquibase highly regarded.
Clearances – you must be an Australian Citizen and to be able to obtain and hold an NV-1 security clearance.