Must have Negative Vetting Level 1
On site Edinburgh, SA or Fishermans Bend, VIC
The department is currently in need of four machine learning engineers to develop, accelerate and mature currently experimenting and building capability with Large Language Models (LLMs) and Computer Vision (CV) techniques.
The Machine Learning Engineers will work in the design and development of focused machine learning and deep learning systems, running machine learning tests and experiments while developing and implementing appropriate ML algorithms.
This will encompass:
Study and transformation of data science prototypes
Design of machine learning systems
Development of machine learning applications according to requirements
Selection of appropriate datasets and data representation methods
Performance of statistical analysis and fine-tuning using test results
Executing train and retrain systems as necessary
Extend existing internal DSTG ML libraries and frameworks
Key technical skills and experience
- Experience in software development & machine learning
- Experience in the use of machine learning methods on multi-GPU platforms
- Extensive Linux knowledge
- Ability to communicate effectively and tailor presentation style and messaging to be relevant to
a range of audience level of knowledge, skills and experience.
- Sound interpersonal skills including the ability to work as a productive member of a team and
communicate effectively with colleagues and clients across multiple organisational levels.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Respond strongly and positively to challenging work and deadlines
Highly desirable skills and experience
- Experience in the use and development of machine learning methods at scale within standalone
or multi-GPU and multi-node configurations
- Experience in MLOps and ModelOps software and associated engineering practices
- Experience with best practice development methodologies and practices such as Agile, DevOps,
- Understanding of data structures, data modeling and software architecture
- Knowledge of math, probability, statistics and algorithms as applicable to the ML context.
- Ability to write code in Python, Java or R
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks (like Keras or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit learn).
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous experience within the Defence environment
- Familiarity with Defence IT security policies and concepts